Bintree (St. Swithin)
BINTREE (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Guist; containing 409 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on the west by the river Wensum, and situated on the road from Norwich to Fakenham, comprises 1443a. 3r. 11p., of which 1117 acres are arable, 247 pasture, and 26 plantation: some of it is good wheat land, and other parts good turnip and barley soil. The living is a rectory, with that of Themelthorpe annexed, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £462; patron, Lord Hastings. The church is a handsome structure in the early and later English styles, with a square embattled tower, and a south transept, and contains a richly carved screen, and some other interesting details. The poor have twenty-five acres allotted on the inclosure of the parish in 1796, and now producing £50 per annum; and the half of £30, rent of land bequeathed by an unknown benefactor.