Binton (St. Peter)
BINTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Stratford-Upon-Avon, Stratford division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, 3¾ miles (W. by S.) from Stratford; containing 269 inhabitants. This place is written Benintone in Domesday book, and a family of the same name were lords of the manor during several reigns. The manor afterwards came to the Wyncotes, Throckmortons, and Walters; from which last it was purchased by the family of the Marquess of Hertford. The parish is bounded on the south by the river Avon, over which is a bridge continuing the road leading to Chipping-Campden: it comprises 1228 acres. There are quarries of excellent limestone, producing also marble. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income, £140; patron, the Marquess. An allotment of land, and a money payment, were assigned in lieu of moduses and certain tithes for this parish and Old Stratford, in 1779.