Binegar (Holy Trinity)
BINEGAR (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Shepton-Mallet, hundred of Wells-Forum, E. division of Somerset, 4 miles (N.) from Shepton-Mallet; containing 338 inhabitants. It comprises 1100 acres; and lies on the great road from Bristol to Exeter, through Shepton-Mallet. A large fair noted for the sale of horses, formerly held at Wells, was removed hither in the seventeenth century, in consequence of the plague, and is held during the whole of Whitsun-week. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 12. 8½., and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Whitchurch in the Cathedral of Wells: the tithes have been commuted for £250; and the glebe consists of 44 acres, with a good residence. The church contains a monument to the Rev. Mr. Tuson, a former rector, and his wife, Lady Frances Tuson, one of the Somerset family. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans at Gurney Slade.