Bincombe (Holy Trinity)
BINCOMBE (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Weymouth, liberty of Frampton, Dorchester division of Dorset, 5 miles (S. by W.) from Dorchester; containing 170 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1000 acres, of which the soil is strong, the surface hilly, and the pasture land in general excellent. There are some quarries of a very fine durable stone, easily worked, a great quantity of which has been used in the public buildings at Dorchester. The living is a rectory, with that of Broadway annexed, valued in the king's books at £9. 1. 5½.; patrons, the Master and Fellows of Caius College, Cambridge. The tithes of Bincombe have been commuted for £180, and those of Broadway for £290. 10. 6.; the glebe in Bincombe comprises about 30 acres, and in Broadway 20. The church is a small structure with a square tower. Numerous barrows are visible on the neighbouring downs.