Bilton (St. Helen)
BILTON (St. Helen), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York; containing 881 inhabitants, of whom 214 are in the township of Bilton, 9 miles (W. by S.) from York. The parish includes the townships of Bickerton and Tockwith, and comprises by computation 4939 acres, of which 2167a. 1r. 38p. are in Bilton township; the soil is fertile, and well cultivated. The road from York to Wetherby runs through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Prebendary of Bilton in the Cathedral of York, valued in the king's books at £3. 16. 0½., and with a net income of £131: allotments of land were assigned in lieu of tithes for the township in 1776. At Syningthwaite, in the parish, Bertram Haget in 1160 founded a Cistercian nunnery for a prioress and twelve nuns, in honour of the Blessed Virgin. Upon its dissolution it had a revenue of £62. 6., and was granted to Sir Thomas Tempest; the estate is at present the property of the trustees of Lord Wharton's Bible charity, and the remains of the nunnery, now a farmhouse, are surrounded by a moat inclosing 8 acres.