BILSDALE-MIDCABLE, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Helmsley, wapentake of Ryedale, N. riding of York, 7 miles (N. N. W.) from Helmsley; containing, with Bilsdale-Kirkham, 738 inhabitants. This place is on the east side of Ryedale, and includes the hamlets of Crosett and Chapel-Yate; it comprises by computation 8380 acres, of which a large portion is high moorland. The chapel, built about 20 years since, and dedicated to St. Hilda, is a neat structure with a square tower: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Helmsley, and has a net income of £91. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. Upon Studfast hill, in this district, the site of a Druids' temple was discovered in 1824.