Billingshurst (St. Mary)
BILLINGSHURST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Petworth, hundred of West Easwrith, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 7½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Horsham; containing in East and West Billingshurst 1439 inhabitants. It comprises 5903 acres, of which 20 are common or waste: the soil is generally clay, upon a substratum of sandstone or beds of Sussex marble. The river Arun, and the Arun and Wey Junction canal, pass through the parish; and the village is situated on the road from London to Arundel and Bognor. It is a post-town, with a corn-market on alternate Tuesdays; and at the hamlet of Adversam fairs are held for horses, cattle, and pigs. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 6. 0½.: the incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £200, with a glebe of 12 acres; and the impropriate tithes, belonging to Sir C. F. Goring, Bart., the patron, for £916, with a glebe of 3 acres. The church consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a tower surmounted by a lofty shingled spire. There are places of worship for Independents and Unitarians.