Billinghay (St. Michael)
BILLINGHAY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Sleaford, First division of the wapentake of Langoe, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 9½ miles (N. E.) from Sleaford; containing, with the townships of Dogdyke and Walcott, 2095 inhabitants. The parish comprises 7827a. 2r. 22p., and is situated on the road from Sleaford to Horncastle: a stream called Billinghay Skirth is navigable for small coal-vessels, and runs into the river Witham about 3½ miles from the village. An act was passed in 1840 for the more effectual drainage of land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 4.; net income, £450; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam. The vicarial glebe consists of about 230 acres, with a house. There are places of worship for dissenters.