BILLINGE, HIGHER-END, a township, in the chapelry of Up Holland, parish and union of Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Wigan; containing 712 inhabitants. It comprises 1302 acres, whereof 492 are arable, 682 pasture, 40 wood, and 88 common: the surface is elevated, presenting very extensive prospects from Billinge Beacon; the soil is of various quality. A coal-mine and three stone-quarries are in operation. The tithes have been commuted for a yearly rent-charge of £216. 13. The Wesleyan Methodists have a place of worship; and a school is endowed with £20 per annum.