Billingborough (St. Andrew)
BILLINGBOROUGH (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Bourne, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (E.) from Folkingham; containing 999 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the borders of the Fens, comprises 2239a. 6p. of land in nearly equal portions of arable and pasture; stone of inferior quality is quarried for repairing the roads. A fair, chiefly for wooden-ware, is held on the 2nd and 3rd of July at Stow Green, about a mile and a half distant; and also a horse-fair. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 1. 8.; net income, £237, arising from 137a. 3r. of land; patron and impropriator, Earl Fortescue. The church has a fine tower and spire, and displays chiefly the decorated style of English architecture. There are places of worship for Calvinists and Wesleyans. Mary Toller, in 1671, gave land producing about £34 per annum, for the endowment of a free school, which is conducted on the national plan. The Roman Cor Dyke passes within a mile to the east of the village. There are some chalybeate springs.