Bignor (Holy Cross)
BIGNOR (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Sutton (under Gilbert's act), hundred of Bury, rape of Arundel, W. division of Sussex, 5½ miles (S. by E.) from Petworth; containing 210 inhabitants. Bignor Park is a spacious and handsome mansion, erected in 1826, on the site of an edifice built in 1632; it occupies an eminence commanding richly diversified views of the surrounding country. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 3. 6½.; net income, £143; patron, Col. Wyndham. The church is a handsome structure, chiefly in the early English style. Between the years 1811 and 1817, the site of a magnificent Roman villa consisting of numerous apartments, was discovered in a field called the Berry, about a quarter of a mile from the village, and explored under the superintendence of Samuel Lysons, Esq., the antiquary and topographer; near it a Roman road was very distinctly marked, leading from Chichester, by Pulborough, to Dorking. Charlotte Smith, the novelist, wrote many of her works at this place, where her father, N. Turner, Esq., was resident.