Bigby (All Saints)
BIGBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (E.) from Glandford-Brigg; containing, with the hamlets of Kettleby and Kettleby-Thorp, 245 inhabitants. It comprises 2784 acres, of which 1484 are meadow and pasture, and 1300 arable land. The village was formerly of considerable celebrity, from containing Kettleby Hall, the residence of the Roman Catholic family of Tyrwhitt, from whom the De Ros family claim their title; but of this once splendid mansion there are now no remains. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £31. 10. 10., and in the gift of Robert C. Elwes, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £726, and there are 28 acres of glebe. The church contains monuments of great beauty and considerable antiquity.