Bickington, High (St. Mary)
BICKINGTON, HIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Torrington, hundred of North Tawton with Winkley, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 7¼ miles (E. by N.) from Torrington; containing 895 inhabitants, and comprising 3433 acres, of which 437 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £29. 7. 6., and in the patronage of W. M. Stowell, Esq.; the tithes have been commuted for £430, and there are 150 acres of glebe. An endowment of £10 per annum by Gertrude Pyncombe, in 1740, is apportioned between two schools.