Bexhill (St. Peter)
BEXHILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Battle, hundred of Bexhill, rape of Hastings, E. division of Sussex, 8 miles (S.) from Battle; containing 1916 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the English Channel, and comprises 6000 acres by computation; the surface is pleasingly varied, and in the northern parts richly embellished with wood; about 70 acres are planted with hops. The village, which is situated on an eminence, commands extensive prospects; and the coast road from Dovor, by way of Hastings and St. Leonard's, to Brighton, passes through it. Here also is a station of the Hastings and Brighton railway. The living is a vicarage, endowed with the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £24. 10. 2½.; net income, £977: patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is an ancient cruciform structure, partly in the early and partly in the later English style, with a low embattled tower. A chapel of ease has been erected on Little Common, and there is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Sir Richard de la Wyche, 13th bishop of Chichester, died here. There are several chalybeate springs.