BEWICK, OLD, a township, in the parish of Eglingham, union of Glendale, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 10 miles (N. W. by W.) from Alnwick, on the road to Wooler; containing 176 inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river Breamish, and comprises about 5000 acres, of which 1000 are arable, 50 woodland, and the remainder pasture and moorland. The village, which is well built, commands an extensive and delightful prospect. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £176. 2. 6., and the vicarial for £110. 5. There was anciently a chapel dedicated to the Holy Trinity, the ruins of which are situated a little to the north-west of the village; it was destroyed by the Puritans, was restored in 1695, but again fell into decay. On Bewick Hill is a British encampment of a semicircular form, with a double rampart; and at Harehope burn, half a mile eastward, is another, supposed to have been an outwork.