BEWERLEY, a township, in the chapelry and union of Pateley-Bridge, parish of Ripon, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 11¼ miles (W. S. W.) from Ripon; containing 1329 inhabitants. This extensive moorland township includes the village of Greenhow-Hill, and comprises 5872 acres, whereof 2983 are common or waste: the vicinity formerly abounded with valuable lead-mines, which were worked to a considerable extent. The tithes have been commuted for £52, payable to the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. At Greenhow are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans; and a school endowed with a house and land, producing about £20 per annum. There are remains of an ancient chapel.