Bewaldeth, with Snittlegarth
BEWALDETH, with Snittlegarth, a township, in the parish of Torpenhow, union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 6¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Cockermouth; containing 73 inhabitants. The manor of Bewaldeth or Bowaldeth was given by Waldieve, lord of Allerdale, to Gilmin. Having reverted to the lord paramount, it was granted by Alice de Romely to John de Utterfield; after which, the family of Mulcaster had the manor for several descents. In or about the year 1400, Robert de Mulcastre or Mulcaster conveyed it to Robert de Highmore, whose descendant, Mr. Benson Highmore, sold the property to James Spedding, Esq., grandfather of John Spedding, Esq., of Mirehouse, of whom it was purchased by Sir Frederick Fletcher Vane, Bart.