Beverstone (St. Mary)
BEVERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tetbury, Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. W.) from Tetbury; containing 178 inhabitants. This place is of very remote antiquity, and there are still some remains of a castle in which a meeting was held, in 1048, by Earl Godwin and his son, for the alleged purpose of aiding Edward the Confessor to repress the incursions of the Welsh. The castle in the reign of Edward III. was enlarged and repaired by Thomas, Lord Berkeley, and in the civil war was garrisoned for the king, but was besieged and taken by the parliamentarians, and subsequently destroyed by fire. The parish is situated on the road from Dursley to Tetbury and Cirencester, and intersected by a branch of the Lower Frome, which has its source within its limits. The living is a rectory, with the living of Kingscote annexed, valued in the king's books at £30, and in the gift of the Crown, with a net income of £590: the tithes were commuted for corn-rents in 1803. The church was rebuilt by R. S. Holford, Esq., and opened for divine worship in October, 1845.