Bethersden (St. Beatrice)
BETHERSDEN (St. Beatrice), a parish, in the union of West Ashford, hundred of Chart and Longbridge, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Ashford; containing 1011 inhabitants. It comprises 6345 acres, of which 798 are woodland, and 300 common. A considerable quantity of a species of grey marble, used for columns and the internal ornaments of various neighbouring churches, is obtained from quarries in the northern part of the parish. A fair is held on the 1st of July. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12; net income, £165; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury; impropriator, Earl Cornwallis: the great tithes have been commuted for £481, and there are 78 acres of glebe. Here is a place of worship for Particular Baptists.