Besthorpe (All Saints)
BESTHORPE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (E. by S.) from Attleburgh; containing 536 inhabitants. It comprises 2132a. 1r. 21p., of which 1471 acres are arable, and 610 meadow and pasture; the soil in general is wet and heavy. The road from London to Norwich, by way of Thetford, passes through the parish. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 10½.; net income, £250; patron and impropriator, the Earl of Winterton, lord of the manor: the glebe comprises 35 acres. The church is a handsome cruciform structure, in the early and decorated English styles, with a square embattled tower at the west end; it was thoroughly repaired in 1840.