Bessingby (St. Magnus)
BESSINGBY (St. Magnus), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Bridlington; containing 66 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Bridlington to Driffield, and a short distance from Bridlington bay, which stretches on the east; it comprises about 1230 acres of land, the property of Harrington Hudson, Esq., who is lord of the manor, and resides at Bessingby Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Mr. Hudson, with a net income of £59: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1766. The church, rebuilt in 1766, contains several handsome monuments to the Hudson family, one of them a fine basso-relievo of a female expiring in the arms of her attendants.