Berwick-Bassett (St. Nicholas)
BERWICK-BASSETT (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Marlborough, hundred of Calne, Marlborough and Ramsbury, and N. divisions of Wilts, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Marlborough; containing 175 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1388 acres of fertile land, of which about one-third is pasture: there are about 8 acres of wood. The ancient manorhouse, many ages since the residence of the Goddard family, is still remaining. The living is a perpetual curacy, united to the vicarage of Calne. The church is a neat plain edifice, and contains a carved screen and font. Henry Webb, in 1775, endowed a school with £14 per annum.