Berwick (St. John)
BERWICK (St. John), a parish, in the union of Tisbury, hundred of Chalk, Hindon and S. divisions of Wilts, 5¼ miles (E. by S.) from Shaftesbury; containing 419 inhabitants. It comprises about 1700 acres; the surface is hilly, and the soil consists of all the varieties of clay, chalk, and sand. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 13. 4., and in the gift of New-College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £500, and there are 53½ acres of glebe. The church is a handsome edifice in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Baptists. About a mile southward from the village is an intrenchment called Winkelbury Camp, supposed to have been constructed by the Romans.