Berrow (St. Mary)
BERROW (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Brent with Wrington, E. division of Somerset, 9½ miles (W. by S.) from Axbridge; containing 578 inhabitants. The parish is situated on a small inlet from the Bristol Channel, to which it gives the name of Berrow bay, and by which it is bounded on the west. It comprises 1650 acres of land; the range of sand-hills that bound the coast contain many botanical and entomological rarities. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £13. 11. 10½.; patron, the Archdeacon of Wells. The great tithes have been commuted for £102, and the impropriator has 18 acres of glebe: the vicarial tithes have been commuted for £218. 13., and there is an acre of vicarial glebe. The church is likely to be buried in the sands, which have accumulated to such an extent, that the wall of the churchyard is twenty feet below the surface of the ground. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.