Berkley (St. Mary)
BERKLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (E. N. E.) from Frome, and on the road from Bath to Salisbury; containing 496 inhabitants. This place appears to have formed part of the possessions of the Newborough family, who were relatives to, and came over to England with, William the Conqueror, and one of whose descendants, Thomas Newborough, was interred in the church in 1531. The parish comprises about 1800 acres, is richly wooded, and abounds with pleasing scenery; freestone resembling that of Bath, but of harder quality, is extensively quarried for building, and limestone abounds. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 9. 7., and in the gift of Sir John Mordaunt: the tithes have been commuted for £354, and the glebe comprises 55¼ acres. The church was erected in 1751. Sir John Colborne, afterwards Lord Seaton, resided in the rectory-house for some time.