Berkhampstead, or North-Church (St. Mary)
BERKHAMPSTEAD, or North-Church (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Berkhampstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of Hertford, 1½ mile (N. W. by W.) from Great Berkhampstead; containing 1265 inhabitants. It comprises 3885a. 2r., of which about 1600 acres are arable, and 206 wood; and surrounds Great Berkhampstead: the village is situated in a valley. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21. 1. 3., and in the patronage of the Duchy of Cornwall: the tithes have been commuted for £900, and there are nearly 11 acres of glebe. On the top of the western hill are the small but interesting ruins of Marlin chapel, which is supposed to have been demolished by Oliver Cromwell; the walls are chiefly supported by ivy of strong and luxuriant growth, and in the area are large timber-trees.