Bergholt, West (St. Mary)
BERGHOLT, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, Colchester division of the hundred of Lexden, N. division of Essex, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Colchester; containing 822 inhabitants. It comprises 2274a. 18p., of which 1733 acres are arable, 119 pasture, 108 wood, and 312 common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; net income, £454; patron, William Fisher, Esq. The church is an ancient edifice, consisting of a nave and south aisle separated by massive pillars, and a chancel, with a wooden turret surmounted by a shingled spire. A chantry was founded here in 1331, by J. De Bures, for a priest to officiate at the altar of the Virgin Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.