Bergholt, East (St. Mary)
BERGHOLT, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Samford, E. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (N. W.) from Manningtree; containing 1461 inhabitants. This place, the name of which implies "Wooded Hill," comprises 3063a. 2r. 34p. It is pleasantly situated in the most cultivated part of the county, on a spot overlooking the fertile valley of the Stour; and the vicinity is remarkable for the beauty of its gentle declivities, luxuriant meadows, well-tilled uplands, and woods and streams: the river Stour forms the southern boundary of the parish. The Knights Templars had a manor here. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Brantham: the tithes have been commuted for £820, and there are 20½ acres of glebe. The church is a large and handsome edifice, of which the steeple was never finished. There is a place of worship for Independents. Lettice Dykes, in 1589, gave property, now producing about £40 per annum, to endow a free school, which was built by subscription on land given by Edward Lamb. John Constable, the distinguished painter, was born here in 1776; and of the scenery of the neighbourhood he used often to speak, as having made him an artist.