Bergh-Apton (St. Peter and St. Paul)
BERGH-APTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Loddon and Clavering, hundred of Clavering, E. division of Norfolk, 7½ miles (S. E.) from Norwich; containing 564 inhabitants. It comprises 1938a. 3r. 21p.; and was formerly two parishes, Bergh and Apton. The living is a rectory, to which a mediety of the rectory of Holveston is annexed, valued in the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny: the tithes have been commuted for £585, and the glebe comprises 48 acres, with a handsome house attached. The church, situated on an eminence, is a neat cruciform structure, enlarged in 1838. There is a town estate, consisting of 60 acres, which lets for £80, applied to general purposes; also a poor's estate, comprising 23 acres, which lets for £26 per annum. A church existed at Apton, dedicated to St. Martin, but there are no remains of it.