BENTON, LITTLE, a township, in the parish of Long Benton, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (N. E.) from Newcastle; comprising an area of 573a. 3r. 10p., whereof 24 acres are common or waste. A part of the population is employed in Bigge's-main colliery. Benton Park mansion, originally built a century ago, and enlarged in 1769, came by purchase, in 1838, with 90 acres of demesne, into the possession of Mr. Potts, who has entirely re-beautified the interior. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 7., and those of corn and hay for £135. 17. In the park grounds is an old font, with the date 1069.