BENTLEY, a township, in the parish of Wolverhampton, union of Walsall, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 1¾ mile (W. by N.) from Walsall; containing 428 inhabitants. The township comprises about 1350 acres of land; and contains coal and iron, works for which were commenced in 1832, by the Earl of Lichfield, who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil. Bentley Hall, the ancient manor-house of the Lane family, is distinguished as the residence of Colonel Lane, who, and his sister Jane, concealed Charles II. after the battle of Worcester, and assisted him in effecting his escape out of the kingdom. The Hall is a neat building standing on an eminence, and has latterly been the residence of the Anson family.