BENRIDGE, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Morpeth; containing 70 inhabitants. This place, formerly Benrigge, or the "high ridge," derives its name from its situation on the slope of a lofty ridge of land that runs through the township from east to west. Possessions have been held here by the families of Bertram, Eure (of which was Sir Ralph Eure, a man of consideration in the county), Bolbeck, Herle, Greystock, and Dacre; the present owners of the estate are the Howards, represented by the Earl of Carlisle. The township comprises 1085 acres of open ground, and about 20 of wood; and consists of several farms, three of which form a straggling hamlet, on the south side of the highway between Stanton and Morpeth, and probably occupy the site of the ancient vill. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £84.