Bennington, Long (All Saints)
BENNINGTON, LONG (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 7 miles (N. W.) from Grantham; containing, with Bennington-Grange, extra-parochial, 1007 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the great north road, and bounded on the north-east by the river Witham, comprises 4000 acres of land of a clayey soil, and has some good stonequarries. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the living of Foston annexed; it is valued in the king's books at £20. 1. 10., and has a net income of £463: the patronage and impropriation belong to the Duchy of Lancaster. The tithes were commuted for a corn-rent and an allotment of land in 1784; the glebe consists of about 30 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. An alien priory of Cistercian monks was founded here about 1175, the revenue of which, in the reign of Richard II., was £50 per annum. There is a mineral spring strongly impregnated with iron.