Bennington (All Saints)
BENNINGTON (All Saints), a parish, and formerly a market-town, in the union of Boston, wapentake of Skirbeck, parts of Holland, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Boston; containing 539 inhabitants. This place belonged to the family of Bay, of whom William Bay was summoned to the grand council at Westminster in 1353, as member for Boston: the ancient family mansion, Bay Hall, is still entire. The parish is situated on the sea-coast, and intersected by the road from Boston to Wainfleet: it comprises by measurement 2814a. 1r. 12p., of which two-thirds are pasture, and the remainder arable; the soil is rich, and the substratum principally clay. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £33. 8. 11½., and in the gift of the Earl of Ripon. On the inclosure of the fens and marsh lands in 1818, land was allotted in lieu of tithes; the land comprises 426 acres, valued at £895 per annum. The church is a handsome structure in the decorated and later English styles, and contains a curious font; on the floor of the chancel is a marble slab, from which the brasses inlaid in it were removed during the parliamentary war, and under which are the remains of Bishop Wainfleet. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists; also a well-endowed school. A chantry once existed here, and near the glebe-house is a piece of ground called the Chantry Pasture.