Benhall (St. Mary)
BENHALL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Plomesgate, E. division of Suffolk, 2 miles (W. by S.) from Saxmundham; containing 749 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 3.; net income, £173; patrons, the Trustees of the late Edward Hollond, Esq., to whom, with others, the impropriation belongs. Sir Edward Duke, Bart., in 1731, bequeathed property now producing, with other benefactions, about £36 per annum, for the endowment of a free school; and a school-house was erected in 1736.