Benenden (St. George)
BENENDEN (St. George), a parish, in the union of Cranbrooke, hundred of Rolvenden, Lower division of the lathe of Scray, W. division of Kent, 3¼ miles (S. E.) from Cranbrooke; containing 1594 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6507 acres, of which 104 are common or waste, and 750 in wood. It lies to the south of the London and Dover railway. Fairs for horses and horned-cattle are held on May 15th and Aug. 4th. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £17. 12. 6.; patron and impropriator, T. L. Hodges, Esq.: the great tithes have been commuted for £500, and the vicarial for one of £151. The church was built in 1672, the former edifice having been damaged by lightning. Edward Gibbon, in 1602, founded a school, which was subsequently endowed with property producing £114 per annum.