Bempton (St. Michael)
BEMPTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Bridlington, wapentake of Dickering, E. riding of York, 3¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Bridlington; containing 313 inhabitants. The parish is bounded by the North Sea, and comprises about 1600 acres, partly arable and partly grass, the latter being some of the richest grazing and feeding pastures in the East riding. The village is pleasantly situated near Flamborough Head, on the road to Scarborough. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of H. Broadley, Esq., the impropriator, and has a net income of £51: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1765. The church, rebuilt at the expense of the patron in 1829, is a small neat structure, with a tower at the west end. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Bempton was separated from the priory of Bridlington in 1474.