Belton (St. Peter)
BELTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Uppingham, soke of Oakham, county of Rutland, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Uppingham; containing, with Gunthorpe Lodge, 402 inhabitants. It is separated from Leicestershire by the small river Eye, and comprises 970a. 1r. 4p. of arable and pasture land in nearly equal portions; the soil is chiefly clay and gravel. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wardley; impropriators, the family of Bishop, and J. Eagleton, Esq. An allotment of land and a money payment were assigned, in lieu of tithes, in 1794; the glebe comprises 66 acres, with a parsonage-house, recently rebuilt by the incumbent. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style, and contains 400 sittings. A school is endowed with £15. 15. per annum.