Belstead (St. Mary)
BELSTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Stamford, E. division of Suffolk, 3¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Ipswich; containing 261 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000 acres of land, of which the surface is hilly, and the soil light. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 6. 0½, and in the gift of the Rev. Isaac Lockwood: the tithes have been commuted for £290, and there is a glebe of 55 acres. The church contains a tablet to the memory of Admiral Sir Robert Harland.