Belleau (St. John the Baptist)
BELLEAU (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Alford; containing, with the chapelry of Claythorpe, 193 inhabitants. The name (Belle eau) is derived from a fine stream of water, which issues from a chalk hill with considerable force. The living is a discharged rectory, to which the vicarage of Aby was united in 1732, valued in the king's books at £13. 3. 9.; net income, £300; patron, Lord Willoughby de Eresby.