Beighton (St. Mary)
BEIGHTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Rotherham, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Sheffield; containing 1121 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the banks of the river Rother, comprises by measurement 3009 acres, and contains several coalmines; stone is quarried for building and for mending roads; and the manufacture of scythes is carried on in the hamlet of Hackenthorpe. The Midland railway passes through the parish, and has a small station here. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with some rectorial tithes of Hackenthorpe, and valued in the king's books at £6. 11. 10½.; net income, £250; patron, Earl Manvers: the tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1796, and the glebe consists of about 36 acres, with a parsonage-house. The church was repewed in 1816; on a beam of the roof is a date, supposed to be 1100. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans at Hackenthorpe. Some ancient earthworks on the east bank of the Rother, about half a mile from Beighton, are thought to have formed part of a Roman station.See Hackenthorpe.