Beeston Regis (All Saints)
BEESTON REGIS (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Cromer; containing 265 inhabitants. The parish comprises 822a. 1r. 17p., of which 526 acres are arable, 54 meadow, 21 woodland, and the remainder heath and common; the surface is undulated, and the soil clayey and sandy. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster: the tithes have been commuted for £135; the glebe originally consisted of 21 acres, all of which have been washed away by the sea, excepting 4½ acres. The church is chiefly in the decorated English style, with a square embattled tower: on the south side of the chancel are two sedilia of stone, and a piscina; and in the north aisle is an altar-tomb with effigies in brass. A school was erected in 1836. Here are some remains, consisting chiefly of the west end of the church, with a small tower, and part of the chapter-house, of a priory of Augustine canons, founded in the reign of John by Lady Isabel de Cressey, and the revenue of which, at the Dissolution, was £50. 6. 4.