Beeston (St. Mary)
BEESTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Mitford and Launditch, hundred of Launditch, W. division of Norfolk, 2 miles (S. S. E.) from Litcham; containing 661 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have been formerly of some importance, the foundations of houses having been discovered in various parts. The parish comprises 2064a. 3r. 7p., of which 1529 acres are arable, 453 pasture, 10 woodland and plantations, and the remainder gardens and roads. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £13, and in the patronage of the Rev. C. B. Barnwell, lord of the manor: the tithes have been commuted for £543, and the glebe comprises about 25 acres, with a house. The church is in the later English style. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. A school is partly supported by endowment; and the poor have 20 acres of land, allotted at the inclosure in 1814.