BEER, a chapelry, in the parish of Seaton, union of Axminster, hundred of Colyton, Honiton and S. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (S. S. W.) from Colyton; containing 1231 inhabitants. The Cove of Beer is highly favourable for fishing: in 1820, Lord Rolle obtained an act for constructing a pier and improving the harbour. Edward Colston bequeathed land, producing about £500 a year, for maintaining and teaching 100 boys of Idstock and Beer. Lady Rolle left £7000 three per cents. for charitable purposes, from which fund almshouses for twenty-five poor fishermen and twenty infirm widows, and schools, have been erected and endowed.