BEEDING, LOWER, an ecclesiastical district, in the parish of Beeding, union of Horsham, hundred of Burbeach, W. division of Sussex, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Horsham; containing 775 inhabitants. This place, which comprises the forest of St. Leonard and the estate called New Park, is intersected by a branch of the river Arun which has its source within the forest near Ashfold. Ironstone is found; and building-stone of excellent quality is plentiful, and extensively quarried. In 1840 a church was erected for Lower Beeding at Plummer's plain, on the road from Handscross to Horsham, by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society; it is a neat edifice, and contains about 200 sittings, of which one-half are free. The living is endowed with a rent-charge on land of £135, and is in the gift of the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, who have built a handsome parsonage-house, attached to which are 20 acres of land. A chapel, dedicated to St. John, was erected on the Coolhurst estate in 1839, at the expense of Charles Scrase Dickins, Esq., who also gave the site, which includes an extensive cemetery. The celebrated Lord Erskine resided for many years at Holmebush, in the parish.