Bedwelty (St. Sannan)
BEDWELTY (St. Sannan), a parish, in the union of Abergavenny, division of Bedwelty, hundred of Wentlloog, county of Monmouth, 16 miles (N. W.) from Newport; containing, with the hamlets of Ishlawrcoed, Ushlawrcoed, and Mamhole, 22,413 inhabitants. The parish comprises 14,516 acres, of which 3931 are common or waste: it contains extensive veins of ironstone, and is intersected in every direction by numerous tramroads; the Rumney railway, also, commences here, and joins the Sirhowey railway in the parish of Bassaleg. There are several foundries on a very large scale, for an account of which see Tredegar. The Rock inn is a polling-place for the election of knights of the shire. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150; patron, the Bishop of Llandaff. The church is of early English architecture: the churchyard, which commands extensive and variegated prospects, is surrounded with some trifling remains of an intrenchment. A district church was lately erected at Tredegar, by aid of grants from the Parliamentary Commissioners and the Incorporated Society; and in 1839, an act was passed to empower the Rumney Iron Company to erect and endow another church, the living of which is in the gift of the Bishop. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists.