BEDFORD, a district chapelry, in the parish and union of Leigh, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, ½ a mile (E. S. E.) from Leigh; containing 4187 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Leigh to Warrington, and is of level surface; the soil is of various qualities. The Messrs. Bickham and Pownall have a very large silk power-loom mill on the banks of the Bridgewater canal, established in 1844, and in connexion with which they employ, in and out of doors, more than 1000 persons. There are four cotton-mills, an iron-wire and machine mill, and a brewery: four collieries, also, are in operation. The church, dedicated to St. Thomas, was erected in 1840, at an expense of £3000, and is a neat structure of brick, with a tower. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £150; patron, the Vicar of Leigh. There are places of worship for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics.