Beddingham (St. Andrew)
BEDDINGHAM (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of West Firle, hundred of Totnore, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 2 miles (S. E.) from Lewes; containing 268 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2283a. 3r. 1p., and includes part of the South Downs; it is bounded on the west by the river Ouse, and is intersected by the road from Lewes to Eastbourne. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of West Firle united, valued in the king's books at £9. 10. 10.; net income, £345; patrons, alternately, the Bishop, and the Dean and Chapter, of Chichester. The impropriation of Beddingham belongs to the Dean and Chapter, and that of West Firle to Viscount Gage. The church is a handsome structure, and has evidently been of larger dimensions than at present. Several relics of antiquity, consisting of swords, bracelets, and Roman coins, with some skeletons, were dug up in a field in 1800.