BEBSIDE, a township, in the parochial chapelry of Horton, union of Tynemouth, E. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Morpeth; containing 91 inhabitants. This place was anciently a manor held under the barons of Bolam; but previously to 1204, "Bebesette" had become part of the possessions of the convent of Tynemouth, which continued to hold lands here till the Dissolution. Among other persons connected with the spot, were Bertram Monboucher, Lord of Horton, and Sir John de Mitford, of Mitford, who both had lands here, the former in the reign of Richard II., and the latter in that of Henry VI.; and subsequent proprietors have been the Dudleys, Ogles, and Wards. The old mansion, with a tower in the centre, has lately undergone repair. There were formerly slitting-mills and shops for forty nailers, with a "considerable dwelling-house," of which nothing now remains except a building divided into small tenements, inhabited by a few poor families. Freestone is quarried; and there is a water-mill for grinding corn, erected some years since. The township pays a small modus in lieu of all tithes.