Beaumont cum Moze (St. Leonard)
BEAUMONT cum MOZE (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 7¾ miles (S. E. by S.) from Manningtree, and 13 (E.) from Colchester; containing 451 inhabitants. It comprises 3046 acres, whereof 692 are common or waste; and lies near the extremity of an inlet of the North Sea between the Naze and Harwich. The tide comes up to Beaumont wharf, which is connected with a short canal for conveying coal, corn, and manure, to and from London. The living is a rectory, to which that of Moze was united in 1678, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of the Governors of Guy's Hospital: the tithes have been commuted for £775, and there are 46 acres of glebe. The church is a plain edifice, having a piscina in the chancel: the church at Moze has been demolished. There is a small place of worship for Wesleyans. Some silver coins were dug up in 1806.